Special Guests: Tyler Pruitt of Portrait Displays (Calman) and Gregg Loewen of LionAV / Professional Video Alliance
Gregg and Tyler are on to discuss their work helping consumers get the most out of their displays, from monitors to flat panels to projectors.
- What’s the takeaway on calibration these days? Is is any easier for a lay person to get good results?
- What should enthusiasts look for in a calibration service? How can they decide to do it themselves vice getting professional help?
- Is Apple’s effort to build in calibration a gimmick or the real deal? Isn’t it better to calibrate at the display than the player?
- How has the introduction of HDR into the mix changed calibration?
- What’s the deal with all the HDR standards? Should we care about anything besides HDR10 and Dolby Vision?
- Can home projectors ever compete for accuracy again in an HDR world?
- Do we -really- need displays capable of 1000 nits or more to get ‘real’ HDR?
- Bias lights seem to have faded as a big deal, do you guys still recommend them? Are people still putting them in?
- Any thoughts on 3D or High Frame Rate from a calibration perspective? How about gaming?
- Where do you stand on streaming? Do streams benefit significantly from calibration? Are streams viable from an accuracy perspective?
- What do you wish people understood about your job better? What would make calibrating their theater better?